Soul Cafe origins:
Soul Cafe began in 2015, initially led by Lindsey Mineff & Matt Cutler from Southern Community Church Of Christ.
To offer people, particularly those who speak English as a second language,the opportunity to:
• Make friends
• Practice their language skills
• Become more confident
• Learn new skills they could use in the work force
• Have a safe place to share their culture and experience the culture of others.
• A chance to belong to a community, particularly for those without a network
• A genuine community has formed to the point that members of the group reached out to other members who were struggling with significant illness.
• We engaged approximately 10 volunteers, many of whom demonstrated significant growth in their language skills and self-confidence.
• We had 11 lunches that catered to approximately 30-50 people/session.
The initial volunteers were:
• Amal Fathelbab • Miharu Hajinikitas • Anthony Beer • Hong Dinh • Antigoni Kotsera • Lianne Ng • Margarita Vitell • Ercan Doruk • Andi Nurasiah • Rajini Pamnani • Sudhir Shokeen